Saturday, July 18, 2009

Gillian is a Mother!

This is what a "Carkie" puppy looks like (via Google)


Lately we have been impatiently awaiting the arrival of Gilly's puppies. So yesterday morning Josh went downstairs to let the dogs out to go potty and discovered that she had just barely delivered her first puppy. I heard it crying and went straight to her side to help her deliver the rest. A few weeks ago I took her to the vet to get checked out and they x-rayed her belly to make sure everything was ok. She said that the bones of the puppies had just started forming and was about 2 or 3 weeks away from delivering 4 little ones. they showed me the x-ray and I counted the 4 little skulls and prepared myself for the delivery- we even went and bought one of those small, blue plastic children's pools so we could keep them in it for awhile. So you could imagine my surprise when Gilly delivered 6 prefect little babies- 5 females and 1 male. One of them is black looks like a Yorkie baby and the other 5 have some brindle like Gilly and look more like Cairn Terriers.



She was a trooper the whole way through and we actually thought she was done with five. About hour after the fifth one was born we had moved the mother and pups into the kiddy pool with fresh blankets and towels. Gilly was sleeping and feeding the puppies and all of the sudden she stood up and delivered one more. Some x-ray, huh? Here I was thinking I had possibly gotten rid of all 4 babies before they were even born and I was in the clear. I told Josh that if one of these girls looks like Gilly and has her temperament that I'm going to keep it. lol. But we will see. Gilly is such a sweet girl and such a good mother. She wouldn't let Jasper come in the house after the birth, so he spent the day outside, but now she has settled down a bit, Jasper won't even go into the room where the puppies are and he is very curious- and nervous as usual. haha.

So tiny!!!


This first born little girl sleeping with her momma


another "Carkie" puppy






3 comments:

  1. awe, makes me miss all the shih Tzu puppies we had! Did you keep one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've gotten rid of all but one.... and I'm trying my hardest not to keep it. lol.

    ReplyDelete